As an opponent to fracking (hydraulic fracturing) I want to pass on this message from Josh and the Gasland Team and plead that you share this article. Click the link to see additional coverage of fracking on Failing Civilization.
The Delaware is the river that runs through the heart of the film GASLAND. We’ve kept drilling and fracking out of the river basin for the past three and a half years. Now the Delaware River faces its most grave and urgent threat.
Please watch the video above that Matt Sanchez and I just created to highlight the critical importance of the upcoming vote on October 21st in Trenton NJ:
This is an urgent call to the fans of GASLAND and to the anti-fracking movement across the nation:
Please act now to Save the Delaware River.
On October 21st, the Delaware River Basin Comission will vote on a plan to allow over 20,000 gas wells in the Delaware River Basin. We need calls to come from all over the nation and we need people from all over the region to come out in protest on October 21st.
The Delaware River Basin Commission is an intergovernmental body that is comprised of five voting members, Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York, Governor Christie of New Jersey, Governor Corbett of Pennsylvania, Governor Markell of Delaware, and the Obama Administration represented by the Army Corps of Engineers. For the Delaware River to be opened up to drilling, three out of the five have to vote yes on the draft regulations plan. We need them all to reject the proposal and reject gas drilling and fracking.
There has never been a more urgent moment in the Northeast in the battle against fracking. The Delaware is the primary drinking water source for 15.6 Million people and is a national treasure.
Here are 4 ways that you can participate:
1) Call the the Governors from the member states and President Obama TODAY and tell them, “Hello, I am calling you to express my serious concerns about hydrofracking. Please Don’t Drill the Delaware!”
- Governor Christie’s office - 609-292-6000
- Governor Cuomo’s office - 518-474-8390
- Gov Corbett’s office – 717-787-2500
- Gov Markell’s Wilmington Office - 302-577-3210
- And the white house comment line is 202-456-1111
2) Come to the DRBC meeting in person!
When: October 21, 8 am
Where: Patriots Theater at the War Memorial, 1 Memorial Drive Trenton, N.J. Map HERE.
There are over 20 buses traveling in from all over the region. Click HERE for bus sign up.
3) Delaware Riverkeeper will be hosting a Peaceful Non-Violent Direct Action Training on October 20th. For more information, sign up HERE.
4) If you work with an organization fighting to keep our water safe from hydraulic fracturing, please send this alert to those in your membership, and post it on facebook.
We will continue to send updates in the coming weeks.
With your help, we can stop the poisoning of our historic rivers and move to renewable and sustainable energy solutions.
Thanks for all you do! Together we can turn the tide.
Josh and the Gasland Team
Gasland 2 is in production. Help us continue our work as the film comes to fruition! Donate HERE.